Sunday, December 20, 2009

Soya and "Vitamins"

Ricki has a definite problem with food. That is not surprising, as most of us have issues with overeating, and one can hardly expect her to do better than the rest of us. Yet sometimes the utter absurdity of her cravings absolutely floors me.
Her main cravings are for soya patties and bread. Thus, I have demanded that she ask prior permission before cooking soya patties, but she tries to sneak them anyway on the side. The other day I caught her with THREE patties, and needless to say, she got more than a “tsk-tsk”, but an immediate closure of the computer (which she was viewing a disc on).
And the day before that as I sat down to eat my supper at 9 pm, Ricki groanded that she had “not had supper yet”. This despite having eaten a soya patty with THREE slices of bread an hour before……
So, in the meantime, everytime I want to eat more, and don’t, I mention aloud that I want more, but am NOT taking, because I “choose to eat healthy”. Maybe that will help. But maybe not. In the meantime, whatever Ricki wants to eat has “vitamins”, and whatever she doesn’t want is “fattening”.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing healthy in soy patties - look at the ingredients. They are 95% bread and filler and 5% soy. I don't let them in my house. It is giving her empty calories

Batya said...

I guess it won't work with Ricki, but I lost weight by davka not eating the triggers.

You're invited to participate in the Your Best Chanukah Picture of The Holiday! meme.

Anonymous said...

Maybe if she wants supper after eating all that you can suggest a salad, possibly with some protein thrown in (cheese, tuna or even bits of chicken) to complement what she's already eaten.

rickismom said...

Actually, if you look at the nutritional values, there is a decent amount of protein in the soya products.
It should go without saying that I offer her salads and vegetables, which except for tomatos she refuses (90% of the time). Her eating and hunger is obviously having much more to do with bad habits, having something to do, and possibly a power struggle as well. As a result we ARE planning to eliminate soya from the house (at least for a while) once my kitchen gets finished. (We are FINALLY finishing the kitchen after a year plus of having pipes not in the wall and only cold water).

rickismom said...

ie, We decided last week to eliminate soya, so that we could work on this problem more effectively, but are postponing the the decree for a week or so because I am currently kitchen-less. I am still cooking cgood meals on a gas burner, but for the sake of my teen-age sons, I am leaving the soya until they have an easier way to prepare a meal if they arrive home suddenly, unexpectedly, or after Ricki snuck and ate their portion in addition to her own....

Terri said...

My daughter will ask to eat any time I am eating whether or not she has just eaten... hunger and wanting to eat just aren't the same thing!

And I think it's funny that what she wants are "vitamins" and what she doesn't is "fattening." My daughter now tells us anything (not just food) she doesn't want is "not healthy." This list includes homework, gloves, making her bed, a certain shirt she hates and more. She has figured out that 'not healthy' is a phrase that has power and she is trying to figure out how to make that power her own!