Friday, May 8, 2009

Priorities - and THE PLAN

For a long time now, I’ve known that there are things I have to change in my life. The way I eat, my lack of exercise... and more. I want to be less on the computer and more with my family. I want to accomplish much more than what I am doing day-to-day.
But knowing that I have to change, and changing, are two very different ball games.

Then on Sunday, it suddenly hit me: I have to be as serious about changing myself as I am about educating Ricki. What do I mean by that?

To effectively bring about change from an entrenched habit one needs to do the following, whether we are talking about our children or ourselves:
1) Analyze the situation. What is promoting you to continue behavior that you know is harming you? (Whether that harm is physical, emotional, or social....) What are you gaining from it? What factors make change harder?
2) See if there are any “factors that make change harder” that can be removed. (For example, if I want to lose weight, I need to see that I get more sleep, so that I won’t be craving the energy spurt that sugar gives me.)
3) Plan and set what positive steps you are going to take to reach your goal. (For example, plan a daily menu in advance, or count calories rather than just guessing that you were “OK”/ “not OK”, weekly weighing, etc.)
4) Monitor how well you are complying with the plan. Adjust if needed. (If not working, go back to #1 and analyze why the plan is not working.... analyze why....)

Because it the end, even a wordy blogger has to admit: Words and wishes only go so far. Actions are the ultimate measure of who we are and what we value.

2 comments:

Batya said...

According to coaching, and fly lady, li'at, li'at, baby steps. That's how I'm trying.

Good luck!

RivkA with a capital A said...

mabye I should post this on my fridge....