Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bad Banking.....

As I wrote last Friday, we really need to be “depositors” in our children’s “self-esteem” account, especially when the general public manages to make so many bad withdrawals.
Well, Mrs. “Thinks-she-is-good-enough-as-a-parent-to-blog” (ie, me), really blew it this morning.
One of the best pleasures a parent can have is to wake their school-age child on the day of a class trip. All the everyday growls of “Get up already or you’ll miss your ride...” disappear, as for once the eager-eyed child bounces up from his bed eagerly. But that didn’t happen today.
Ricki woke up in a contrary mood, as if just to spite me. She took several minutes just to get started on her get-up routine, and was definitely running late. She managed to tear (irreparably) a school blouse. (Second blouse this week... I will have to buy two more school uniform blouses 5-6 weeks before the end of the school year and the end of her attendance at this school. Another $10+ down the drain...) In addition she insisted on wearing (inappropriate) jewelry to school ( I HOPE and WISH the teacher would confiscate it ....). She dawdled enough that I really thought she just might really miss her ride. Then as she left the house, I saw that she was wearing her good special-occasion shoes. She KNOWS that it is not correct to do so, but, as with the jewelry, she is eager to get some “ohhs” and “awwws” from her classmates. And it was too late at that point, to make her change them.
And what was the reaction of Mrs. “Thinks-she-is-good-enough-as-a-parent-to-blog” to all this? I spent the hour yelling at Ricki that she was wrong, that she was lazy, that she wasn’t listening, etc. It certainly wasn’t good “banking practice”, and I better change quick if I don’t want to overdraw......

2 comments:

Chris said...

I love this analogy!!

Also, love that Ricki wanted to accessorize--maybe she's had it with boring school uniforms and needed to take action. Gotta love a girl with style.

FAB said...

That's the thing with we mother's, as much as we love our kids we still have those moments. I've found though that with my kids they pay much more attention to the really good moments when I'm making lots of "deposits". WHne I feel really horrible I apologize and ya know they always forgive me!