Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Smart Daughter

Sometimes Ricki does some pretty smart things. And sometimes I wonder HOW she did something….
Ricki is sick. She’s had a cough, which has gradually gotten worse over the week, and finally I kept her home from school on Friday. Initially I had told her that this vacation from studies was for only one day, but last night as her coughing got even deeper, I decided that this morning we will be visiting the doctor, not the school. Despite her lack of elevated temperature. I have seen Ricki in the past have pneumonia without having a temperature, and when Ricki told me that her back hurts when she coughs, I got worried.
So I informed my daughter that school was not in the plans for tomorrow, but rather a visit to the doctor. About half an hour later, I noticed her school bag on the floor, and instinctively asked: “Ricki, did you prepare your school books for to marrow?”
“Mom, I thought you said that I was going tomorrow.”
Yeah. Right…
* * * * * *
Meanwhile, recently when my son’s computer wasn’t working, I noticed that he had set up a new user name on my computer. After giving him a tongue-lashing for having the audacity of doing such a thing without my permission, he claimed absolute innocence of the crime.
Had Ricki, fiddling around on the computer done it? I suspected not. But yesterday as I tried to open my word program where I keep this blog, I was informed by the computer that it was “read-only”, having been edited-protected by user “2009”. And my son hasn’t been on my computer for days.
I am always worried that Ricki will open my files and alter them. I guess I will have to set up a user name for her to keep her away from my files. But my real worry is that one day she will simply delete “windows”, clicking “yes” to the “are you SURE?” query of the computer…..

3 comments:

RivkA with a capital A said...

I haven't been commenting lately, but I've been reading....

Staying Afloat said...

We set up users for everyone in the family, and we have to be very careful not to let him use the "Adult" account even for a minute or he will change his own account's status to allow himself to make changes (yes, he's done this).

We have to do this. This is the kid who has ordered legos by credit card and won an ebay auction for Leapster games. With his own account, we can disable blogging (he once set his own blog up, without asking, public, with pictures). And we disable shopping, and all administrative changes.

And we keep all of our set-up disks and an external hard-drive, just in case.

Childlife said...

So sorry to hear Ricki's not been feeling well!

Sounds like she's been keeping busy though :D

Somehow my eldest set my computer log-on icon to a laughing dog. She won't tell me how she did it and I can't figure out how to change it (sigh)

~Michelle @ 5MFSN