Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Phone Message and Mourning

I ran out to do a few errands yesterday morning, and arrived back home rather late. This was not a real problem, as Ricki’s brother was home to open the door for her.
However, as I entered the house, Ricki came to me with a concerned expression.
“Grandpa died. You have to call Evelyn.”
I gulped. My father-in-law has been in serious condition for several months. (So much so, that when my father died suddenly two months ago, and I relayed the news to my children, I had to emphasize that it was MY father who had passed on.) Now if Ricki had said just “Grandpa died.” I would have assumed that she was just rehashing the facts of my own father’s death. But the addition of the message to call Evelyn, who is my sister in law, made me realize that either what Ricki was saying was true, or maybe -maybe – his condition had turned even more critical (if that was even possible).
However, I was hesitant to tell my husband unless I was 2000% sure(rather than the 97% I was at). So I tried to reach my sister-in-law. Meanwhile I told my daughter to be prepared to pick her father up by car, so that he could be informed somewhere in private, and not on the street.
Ricki was correct. What impressed me most was not only that she had given me the message, but that she understood the importance of it. This morning she asked to see a picture of her grandfather (who she doesn’t remember, him having been here too many years ago), trying to organize the information she was receiving. She even asked me “What do you say?”, understanding that “Get well soon.” was not appropriate, but not being sure what was.

May G-d comfort my husband, his sisters, and my dear mother-in-law.

4 comments:

G6 said...

Hamokom Yenachem Eschem.....
May he be a meilitz yosher for your entire family.

Anonymous said...

May your husband and your entire family have a nechama

Batya said...

HaMakom Yenachem
Both of you in mourning within a few months.

rickismom said...

Yes, Muse, this has not been a good winter for Grandfathers......