Thursday, January 1, 2009

Five Kilos

Question: What’s five kilograms?
Answer: The difference between an anorexic diet and a regular one.
Over the last two weeks, I have lost two kilos (not bad, especially with Chanukah in the equation). I was moderately hungry, here and there, but not too bad.
My (near-adult) son, over the same two weeks (which started with his fasting pre surgery and his anorexic diet following the gastric bypass) lost seven kilos.
Frankly, he may have lost more, but I had more fun. A kilo a week is fine for me.

And an extra “fallout” of our diets is that another sibling is also committing to try to loose weight. And even Ricki, who is still in “indulgence mode” has been easier to keep within realistic boundaries of food consumption this week. (Unchecked, she can eat horrendous amounts….) [Whenever I refrain from overeating I have made it a habit to comment out loud that I am refraining. I am hoping that this will influence her.]

When I quizzed my husband, “What’s the difference between a regular diet and a gastric bypass?” and told him the answer, he commented:
“There’s another difference. He will continue losing.” (Implying that I wouldn’t.)

I understand his lack of confidence in my diet. I mean, why should this time be any different?
That is a question I will need to deal with day-by-day.
So I didn’t answer my husband’s jibe.
So here’s a cyber (calorie-free) toast to surprises!!!!!!

3 comments:

Belinda said...

Why SHOULDN'T you keep losing?! Good for you, 2 kilo's is huge! Way to go. The world changes all the while and we change. Here's to a New Year, and hope, and new patterns.

Anonymous said...

Losing weight takes time and endurance. I lost 35lbs going to weightwatchers with a friend. It took more than a year. My attitude is that not every week will be successful and I don't give up if i mess up. I take it one day/week at a time. I know that i am not the type of person who can go on a diet, lose weight and then go back to whatever i was doing. I know that i have to "own" my seat at weightwatchers. Although i hope one day i won't have to pay for it. (when you hit "goal" and maintain it you don't have to pay as long as your within 2lbs. of the goal.) Keep up the good work. The key to success is patience, preparation and taking time for you. I know you have your hands full but you seem to be an AWESOME mother and YOU count too. Hatzlacha! Having a "partner in crime" really makes the difference. Feel free to get in touch with me if you need.

rickismom said...

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement!