Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Everyday Concerns Versus the Bigger Issues

Actually, I think it is very interesting, usual, and human that most of us find the day-to-day events of our lives to be more "impacting" on our feelings and quality of life than the "news".
I remember when the first gulf war broke out by Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Kuwait. There was talk in Israel about gas masks, scuds…in short, everyone was tense. And I? I was in the hospital after the birth of a child, and quite frankly was rather oblivious to the commotion and panic around me.
I live in Israel, and there is a war going on an hour and a half away from us. But yesterday I was personally more bound up, thought-wise, by personal happenings in my life. This doesn't mean that we can ignore the bigger issues. Because if we do, they will eventually affect us and reach our doorstep as well. (This is besides our moral obligation to care for others, do justice, etc.)
However, our own everyday concerns take precedence in our lives, usually. We need to make time for both, each in its own season.

No comments: