Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Little Lamb

I was studying Exodus chapter 12 with Ricki today. We were reading about the Korban Pesach (Passover sacrifice), and how the killing of a one-year old lamb was involved.
At First, I was afraid that she would feel terribly sorry for the lamb, but her only reaction was “yuch” any time I mentioned slaughter or smearing blood on the door lintels. But when I mentioned that this baby animal was the baby of a sheep, or a goat, she blurted out: “But his mother will miss him!!”
Yes, Ricki understands that. And she is “retarded”. So what can we say about the idiots who still advice new parents of children with Down syndrome to give them up for adoption?
And my eyes teared as I realized that this teen, who will probably never have a child of her own (or if she does, the child will be taken from her)…she at least can appreciate how a mother must feel.

No comments: