Monday, April 26, 2010


Yikes! You are all going to think that I am a pessimist, obsesed with death. I am not. (REALLY!)
But Friday morning I heard that a friend (my age, under my weight, but not thin) had died. My first suspicion was that her death was weight-related. So today when walking in her neighborhood, I stopped to check if the death notice gave any hint of whether the deceased had a chronic illness,died in an accident, etc. I gather from the notice that she probably had cancer. AS IF THAT MEANS BEING OVERWEIGHT IS LESS OF A DANGER, HUH?
But I got a second message from the picture: See the lovely red blooms from the overhanging plants? Well, there are hard days (death notice); there are easier days (flowers). Both are part of life. So if you are having a hard day, just hunker down and wait for the flowers to bloom.
Post-note:
       As someone commented, Meirav was indeed a very special person, although I knew her in a rather passing way. I do know that she was the instigator of a high school course teaching future music teachers to work with children who have special needs.

2 comments:

אלף שי said...

Meirav was so special, she deserves much wormer reference ...

Rickismom said...

Indeed, Merav was a special person. However, this post was not about Merav. Indeed, when I wrote the post, almost all of my readers where people from out of the country, so I felt no need to eulogize Merav here.In a blog largely devoted to the issue of weight loss, I was talking about the tendency seriously overweight people have of ignoring danger signs. I could have coddled myself into complacency about my weight, because Merav did not die from excess weight. However, your point that Merav was special is valid, and I added a post-note.