Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ricki and Shabbas (the Sabbath)

For those of you who don't know, practicing Orthodox Jews do not watch TV on the Sabbath (if at all). We do not have TV at home, but here at my mother's house, where Ricki has no friends and little to do in her free time, she has been watching some TV cartoons. (Makes me very glad we don't have one at home....)
Anyway, on the Sabbath I like to read, and here in Colorado I tend to do the same. And Ricki has been rather bored as a result. But she has been a REAL tropper and didn't try to turn the TV on, waiting patiently until the Sabbath was over. A real accomplishment!

5 comments:

Batya said...

Those visits must be hard. And that means that your mother hasn't turned on the tv either. Right?

Staying Afloat said...

Wow! It took us two years to train E. to not turn on the TV or computer on Shabbos!

Hurray for Ricki!

Anonymous said...

You are all better than me: I still unplug the TV.

G6 said...

It's amazing what self control we can exercise when Shabbos is involved!
It often makes me wonder why we cannot translate that to other areas of our lives :D
Same with kosher. Why can I stay away from something if it's not kosher, but be helpless when it's merely bad for my diet???
In any case - three cheers for Ricki!

Staying Afloat said...

Agreed, G6. Though it's not just Shabbos- when I went diabetic during my last pregnancy, I just stayed away from the bad stuff because of how it affected the baby, not me. I though it'd translate to good eating habits afterward. Not so much.