Monday, November 9, 2009

The Memory Keeper’s Daughter- Movie Review



Last night I had the opportunity to watch the movie “The Memory Keeper’s Daughter”. When my son asked me today if it was “worth watching”, I told him that he might enjoy watching the scenes where Krystal Nausbaum plays the teenaged Phoebe. She does a beautiful job portraying her character, who is, incidentally, a likable, believable teen with Down suyndrome.
But other than that, I found the movie rather boring and unrealistic. The doctor and his dear wife have so many problems, yet somehow ignore the possibilities of going to get help until it is too late. These two characters appear very shallow to me, and the idea that the wife has a romance with someone she has just met does not jive at all with her earlier actions. As the doctor kicks Phoebe’s (fake) gravestone, the implication is that Phoebe’s birth was the cause of all of this couple’s misery. Sorry, I’m not buying that. Their problems are from lack of communication and consideration.....Period.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should read the book. It is very believable.

Anonymous said...

The book is better, has more depth to it. But I think the point of both the book and the movie is that its the secret that ruins their lives, not what the secret is per se. Just the fact that there is a secret.

rickismom said...

Yes, the secret equals lack of communication.
I've never read the book, but I would assume that it is better. Books usually are. It is hard to capsulize anything really meaningfull in 1 1/2 to 2 hours......