Wednesday, November 18, 2009

(Continuation from the day before Yesterday) And Knowing when Not To (Keep Your Mouth Shut) 2


Overlooking wrongs done to you is one thing when done to promote family cohesiveness. It is another if it leads to encouraging bullying and the like. If someone is consistently wronging you, careless with your possessions, then I am not in favor of “forgive and forget”. When someone recently took possession of a piece of furniture that I had loaned them, using it NOT as I had agreed to, than I DID speak up. Also, it is important to stand up for your children’s rights.
The other day, I was speaking to a family member, and they needed a scrap of paper to write something down. They grabbed a small sheet that Ricki had in front of her, and Ricki protested: “That’s mine!”
“Return it,” I told that family member, “it IS hers. She won’t respect your rights if you don’t respect HERS.”

4 comments:

Alison said...

I agree there are definitely times we need to speak up for our kids.

Terri said...

I agree. The ability to set boundaries makes you equal in relationships. If you have that and the ability to get over the things that are over, your life and your relationships will be much better!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

I like the photo! And I agree - boundaries are a good thing. With a child that is nonverbal, I am learning very quickly that I need to speak up for her!

Marie said...

Boundaries are a very good thing. In family or out.