Monday, November 16, 2009

Knowing When to Keep Your Mouth SHUT

On meeting friends whose oldest child is engaged, I tell them: “You know how to be a good Mother-in-Law: Shut your mouth and open your purse.” Well, I had to practice what I preached today, through no fault of my married children, nor their spouses. One o my married children had several items on my roof, and hired some Arabs today to take the stuff down. I was out of the house when this happened, and was not able to help oversee things.
Put simply, the hired workers were very careless, breaking several objects, including knocking my (very) precious (to me) digital picture frame to the floor. When I came home, and saw the frame in pieces on the floor, I quickly decided not to tell the young couple. THEY certainly don’t have the money to pay for it, so mentioning it would only cause the spouse of my child aggravation. So I shut up.

My reward was that I took the pieces aside, and discovered that they had come apart, but had not broken. So the frame is now working, and my married couple didn’t have the aggravation that I could have so easily caused.

1 comment:

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Such a great lesson for this one day mother-in-law. I'm glad your frame was able to be put back together.