Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Changing Face of Intervention

I was in the supermarket yesterday evening with Ricki. She was pretty good, EXCEPT for picking up a (unwrapped) bread and nibbling on it. (She ate without washing her hands, not in a civilized manner, and in copious amounts..) Needless to say, when we arrived home she received “consequences” of withdrawals of various privileges.
But that’s not what I wanted to post about. I’ve noticed lately that people are LESS “accepting” of Ricki’s bad behavior. Ricki was pushing a lady in line, just a bit, and I pointed this out to her. And the woman gave her a quiet piece of her mind as well.
And while they will still often be people who “secretly” motion to me “It’s alright” if I remind Ricki not too push when she is in a line, I am seeing more people support my need to give her an education.
Are people changing? I suspect not. I am theorizing that Ricki has simply moved beyond the “cute kid” stage, so people have less tolerance for bad behavior. GOOD!

9 comments:

emma said...

It sounds like will leading parallel lives! Dimitri is 9 and I've been noticing the same thing, the bigger Dimitri gets the less accepting people are - although the people in the neighborhood who have known him for years are ok.

emma said...

Duh, just saw the "good" at the end of your post (I'm getting slower with old age!), Dimitri requires a little more...patience I guess:-)

RivkA with a capital A said...

I've warned my kids about this.

My little one is especially aware of just how cute she is.

I tell her straight out: that kind of behavior will stop being cute when you are older.

I don't know how much she "gets it" (even without any learning disabilities) but she will.

RivkA with a capital A said...

btw, another thought is that the people are taking their cues from you.

they here you correcting your daughter and they feel freer to add their own two cents.

rickismom said...

No, Rivka, I was doing the same at all ages...

Something Different said...

I know what you mean. Though my girls are mostly the same age, one is very petite and cute looking, and seems to draw out people's nice sides much more than the others who look older and more on top of things.

Also, the interferance of strangers always bugs me. Like people seeing me dicipline one of the girls and give me these horrified looks, like- how can you talk like that to this girl?? It's so frustrating, because they don't know how I love the girls, and how this is what they NEED.

You're a great mom!

rickismom said...

Something different--- I even printed out and laminated small scraps of paper, with it written "If you see me disaplining my child, it isn't because I don't love her and know her potential, but exactly the opposite! But the one time recently that I could have given it out, I was so floored by the "interference " that I didn't respond fast enough.

RivkA with a capital A said...

wow, "katonti" -- I could not imagine dealing with this so much that you would need to hand out notes to people.

I am in awe of your committment!

rickismom said...

Well, Rivka, it's just the stupidity of people who think she is not capable of better, or should be "allowed" to get away with her shenanigens.....