Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Guest-Flat Stanley


Well, we had a house quest for a whole month. But he wasn’t any bother, as he agreed to do exactly whatever we were doing. His name: “Flat Stanley”.
For those of you who have yet to been visited by this character, he is a paper doll third graders use to learn letter-writing and geography skills, as he is mailed to friends for a visit.
I received Flat Stanly from my American nephew about two weeks before Passover (he was rather bored the first week....), and I finally sent him off yesterday after having “traveled” with his cousins (my children) to various places in Israel. He took with him several souvenirs, including several photos, and a plastic milk bag. (In Israel, we buy milk in bags.)
One of the photos he took was actually a photo from Ricki’s visit to the Kinneret last year (see HERE and HERE).
Flat Stanley is a good example of how education has changed in America since I was a child. It seems to me that the studies are more fun, and with a bigger emphasis on skills rather than memorization of facts. Such an educational environment is surely better for integration than the typical “lecture” format, so prevalent here.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

That's very fun! I want to go the places Flat Stanley is going to!

MediMonsters said...

Sounds like fun. Great pics.

CristyLynn said...

Sounds like a fun way to learn.