Friday, June 19, 2009

Up to Jerusalem

This week I traveled to Jerusalem twice. It always amazes me that I am an hour, hour and a half, from the city many of the ancients dubbed: “Eye of the World”. I consider it a privilege.
One of my forays to the holy city was towards evening. On the way I noticed something that had never caught my eye before: along a certain stretch of the highway, the fields are bordered with flower bushes, which enhances the view.
Yesterday morning as I exited the building to catch the Jerusalem-bound bus, I saw a boy, carrying a bird cage with some type of canary or bird. His face was alight with joy as he peered through the bars at the lovely bird. And while traveling, what caught my eye was the lush greenery of the fields, the silver-green of the olive tree leaves, and the stacks of bound grain, harvested and awaiting pick-up.

Sometimes we need that step back to reexamine the world from a fresh perspective. To enjoy the simple message of the intracities of life’s rhythms, and the complexity of even the smallest corn kernel.....

3 comments:

RivkA with a capital A said...

Next time you come to Jerusalem, would you like to come over for coffee??

rickismom said...

Oh, Gee, that would be nice-- though usually when I come up, it's "in and out"... in a rush to get home in time to watch Ricki. As it is, my married kids in Jerusalem are angry that I don't get over to them. But I might be up in July for a long day (WITH Ricki), and I would love to meet you in person.
I will repost this over by you....

Batya said...

Great post. Always look at things with a different perspective. When I landed at Newark I didn't recognize my suitcase until I saw it from the other end.