Monday, October 26, 2009

That “Knowing Smile” – type Two

For years I’ve known that special smile: the smile shared by those traveling a similar journey. In my case this was always the smile a fellow parent of a child with Down syndrome would flash me when noticing Ricki next to me. Once as I was exiting the dental clinic of a hospital, I noticed a mother sitting with her older son with Down syndrome. I saw her glance at Ricki, and suddenly she looked up at me with a smile. I returned the grin, and went on my way. Not a word was spoken, but the connection , the fellowship, was there.
Suddenly, I have a second type of “knowing smile” in my life: that of fellow walkers. If I am out walking in the early AM, carrying only a bottle of water and a key, it takes no big brains on the part of a fellow pavement-hitting woman to figure out what I am doing in the local park at that hour. So, more often then not, she’ll slip me a smile as she wizzes past. And one morning I even met a friend of mine, who I had no idea was working on her health. BOKER TOV! (“Good morning!”)

For more of "31 for 21" (blogging in October for Down syndrome awareness)go HERE


Batya said...

Ahhh, yes.
When I was in NY a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised not to find walkers. And I certainly was the only shopper packing my purchases in a backpack.

Amy said...

I know those smiles too!

As you know, I also have a daughter with Ds and share knowing smiles with many.

I am also a walker - evening is my time. I love the fragrance of evening as the breeze dies down for the day. I don't know the names of the people I pass but we generally share a knowing smile or nod.