Friday, August 28, 2009

For Special-Needs Parents: the Best Seat on the Plane

When I am flying on an international flight, with a 777, I always try and get the seats in the VERY last row. It has several advantages:
1. The other rows have three seats; this row has two. You can seat your child by the window, next to you, and with no one else in the row.
2. It is near the bathrooms, water, etc. And the service cart is almost never blocking your way.
3. There is about half a seat of extra space next to these two seats. This makes it easty for you to get up to stretch without bothering others.

The DISADVANTAGE is that you will be one of the last persons off the plane. Don't use if you have close connections.....

7 comments:

G6 said...

Guess your luggage was in the back row too ;) .....

rickismom said...

Actually, my luggage got left behind at an earlier connecting flight (but arrived already, thank G-d.....

Marsha :o) said...

My husband and I once got "stuck" in that row. At first, we thought it was going to suck. But then we realized how much fun it was. The flight attendent was sitting next to us and talking to us the entire time she was seated; we had conversations with the people waiting to use the bathroom, and the extra room WAS nice!

Staying Afloat said...

That sounds so smart! Extra room is never a bad thing. I would just say that if your kid is sensory, they might be disturbed by the constant comings and goings at the bathrooms. On the other hand, that could be the entertainment! Plus, very useful for my son who throws up with little warning. (I know- TMI.)

Staying Afloat said...

P.S.- Welcome back! Or, you've left where I am and gone elsewhere, so I suppose I'm glad you're home.

Ria said...

That's good to know. I'll have to remember that in case we plan a trip to the Philippines one day to visit family. Thanks for sharing.

RivkA with a capital A said...

There is one disadvantage of which to be aware: you cannot put your seat back.

But is was a good seat for me when I was post-op and had difficulty moving. I needed an end seat, and only had to get up for one person (my dearly beloved -- who only made me move when absolutely necessary)