Monday, June 30, 2008

A Bit of Silence

One of my favorite pastimes is a rarely-indulged-in one:
I enjoy sitting in an armchair, next to the living room window. The best time to do this is in the early morning, when the summer blast of heat is a bit less. But one ingredient to this scenario is irreplaceable: quiet.
A bit of silence was all I wanted this morning, before starting what promised to be a hectic day. I wanted a brief pause, a moment to reflect. Unfortunately it was not to be, as someone in the family was determined to talk to me. After five minutes of hearing them out, and with only 5 minutes left until I would have to wake Ricki up, I requested a bit of silence. Unfortunately, it was not to be. OK, I survived the day in tact anyway. But I missed those quiet minutes. In today’s busy, ear-drum rattling world, a bit of silence is a gift to treasure and savor.

No comments: