Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Discount


    Ricki's water consumption had always been plentiful. She changed her clothes several times a day and bathed frequently as well. This was tolerable until about a year ago, when the water company added a higher tariff for "copious" water usage. And due to Ricki's frequent bathes, and the resulting high number of loads of laundry, we fit the criteria. Our water bill sky rocketed. I wrote the company a letter, explaining why it was not fair that we pay the higher tariff.
   This week, I received a letter from the water company. They have decided to give parents of children with special needs a discount. We just need to inform them if she is no longer living at this address.

    Unfortunately, You're a bit late, I informed them……

5 comments:

Batya said...

ouch, that hurts
Can they give you a retroactive one for her last year?

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a legacy. If Ricki's water needs, explained in your letter, resulted in a change for parent's of special needs children - well done. Getting the letter would "pinch" your heart, but knowing that you helped so many others may help ease the pain.

Rickismom said...

Batya, maybe 2 monthes

Annon_ I doubt that my letter made any change- organizations were working on it; I was just adding my 2 cents.....

mikimi said...

Actually I think the law changed in September-but still too late for you. I only know as I as was helping a friend get Child Disability and the booklet put out by ALUT Benefits 2012 mentioned it.

Cindy said...

Oh my word! This gave me a lump in my throat. So sad...