Friday, November 11, 2011

A Popcorn Story

I occasionally make popcorn for the family, including Ricki of course. If she is home I’ll make it in my pot that has a clear glass lid so that she can see it pop.
Not so long ago I noticed in the supermarket packed no-fat micro popcorn in SINGLE portion bags. I grabbed a box. The popcorn was good, and the 100-calorie bag has just the right amount. Excellent for a very occasional snack.
The other day Ricki caught me eating a bag, and begged me for some. So I told her that I would make her some. I got out a bag, popped it in the microwave, and soon enough it was ready. I even managed not to burn it.
The next morning Ricki informed me that she wanted to make some for school, but I refused, saying that she could take a sandwich and fruit as normal. Minutes later the stench of some VERY burnt popcorn filled the house.
A perfect example of my adage:
“If you don’t teach them HOW to do something, they will try it on their own, without instruction, soon enough…..”

4 comments:

mikimi said...

I guess this is another "skill" to teach your daughter although I have burned popcorn in the microwave as mine is digital and all it takes is punching on an extra number to almost burn down the flat. It takes forever to get rid of the smell in the microwave!

Meriah said...

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and I'd like to follow/join but you don't have a widget...? Or did I miss it?

rickismom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rickismom said...

Yeah, Mikimi, I had to completely clean the micro to get rid of the stench!
Meriah, just add me to your google reader! (Underneath the google reader, hit "add" button, and put in URL
http://beneaththewings.blogspot.com/