Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Ruined Gift

Yesterday I went to the post office to pay my electric bill, and while there noticed that they were selling some new stamps in honor of the 200th year since the death of Rabbi Nachman of Breslov. The stamps were being sold as part of a package, replete with booklet and a disc of songs from followers of Rabbi Nachman. The item was a bit pricey, but since I know someone who would REALLY enjoy the gift set, I bought one. On arrival home I put it on my deep freezer in the hall, so as to remember to send it over to the intended recipient.
After my mid-day nap I emerged to the front hallway, only to discover the remains of the booklet. The stamps were gone, and the disc was missing. Well, I blew my top! This is the second ruined gift in two day. I hollered at Ricki to produce the disc and the stamps. The disc she quickly brought me; the stamps I have not recovered. Often Ricki unwraps gifts she sees on the deep freezer, which is bad enough. This was a step further: the taped booklet will remain mine, as it is no longer in a condition to give.
Color me furious……

6 comments:

Becca said...

Oh dear... Looks like you need a new place to put gifts! Maybe if you put something else on the deep freezer to remind you to take it, but not the gift itself, would that perhaps work better?

mikimi said...

aaarrrggghhhh!

Batya said...

Leave salted instead of sugared candy disguised as a gift. Would that help train her away from it?

And if she has a birthday coming up, tell her no present, because she destroyed someone else's present.

rickismom said...

CANDY??? Who's giving candy???

Anonymous said...

I think that I agree with Becca. If you know that the gifts are going to tempt Ricki - why leave them in a place that she can easily get to them? While I totally understand that you are trying to teach her and to give her boundaries. However, she is inquisitive and wants to see what is in the package.

Not an easy lesson that is for sure

rickismom said...

I have decided that putting gifts elsewhere is simply avoiding making the effort to teach her proper behavior.
I haver decided that next time I place a gift there I will also put a (large) note, telling Ricki that this is a gift, and stating what the consequences will be if she opens it.