Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rushing By.....

Well, the three day weekend (2 day holiday followed by Shabbas)was long, but it brought a rest I was sorely in need of. I did get some walking in. I allowed myself ONE of each of the two fattening deserts, but had some extra cake as well. So I will probably gain some this week. The good news is that I ate a fraction of what I would have in former years.
My step daughter mentioned how she had gotten some exercise in by going over to the national park to say the tashlich prayer near a lake.I often make that walk, and it takes me an hour and ten minutes to get there. From her house, which is about 10-15 minutes from here, it would take me 55-60 minutes to walk to the national park.
And there is the rub. It took her all of half an hour. Also, last night as I was out walking, other walkers just kept speeding by me. It is sort of hard to feel that you are out being victorious and active and atheletic when everyone else is overtaking you.....
Of course, I would like to see them put on that kind of speed carrying 40 extra kilos.....

Of course, why in the world do I have to compare myself to others??????? Do I have to be "better" than the next guy to have self worth?????
I am competing against MYSELF, and improving MYSELF.

But I am beginning to understand the walkers who get in so many more steps than me. They are not walking all day, only faster.

Hard to imagine that I myself may very well be speeding along like that in another year. We'll see......

4 comments:

ruti@israel said...

i think that it is also important to compare ourselfs with others. i am less educated then my sister, i want to improve it, i work on it. how can i comape my level of knowlege with myself? (just as am example)

mikimi said...

I wish I had your motivation and discipline!

rickismom said...

Mikimi, even I have my "off" days. After the fast today I just didn't go out walking. I hope to make it up gradually over the week, but we will see.
I think one has to strike a balence between doing what you know is good for yourself, yet listening to your body.

RivkA with a capital A said...

I disagree with Ruti. As an educator (swim teacher), I constantly emphasize that we are not in competition with each other. Our goal is to be the best we can be.

I see this as a life-lesson. There will always be someone better and someone worse than we are, that should not matter. We need to strive to achieve the best we can do at any given moment.

It is important to recognize your achievments and your accomplishments. You have what to be proud of. Be proud!