Monday, May 12, 2008

Kudos to Ricki’s School

This morning I received a phone call from the office at Ricki’s school, an hour and a half after the school day began. Ricki was on the line.
- “What is Sarah’s (the aid’s) phone?”
- I told her, and heard it repeating it to the secretary.. Then she hung up.

The aid had not arrived, apparently. Yet there are several things going on here:

1) They had Ricki talk to me (life skills). They didn’t even demean her by getting on the line later to check that the number was correct.

2) In her previous school, where they TALKED about how they wanted to include Ricki, would call me in hysterics if the aid was 15 minutes late. They made it clear that it was MY problem, and that if she would not be arriving immediately, I would have to come and return Ricki from school. Here they waited an hour and a half, and even then, it was THEIR problem.

So even though we don’t celebrate Mother’s day in Israel, I guess I did receive a gift, didn’t I?

No comments: