Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The “blind dollar”

I saw an article on the US news, saying that the courts have ruled that it is discriminatory for the US not to adapt dollars for the use of the blind. I opened the “discussion” page, in order to post that here in Israel, bills have been easily adapted for the blind by the use of raised shapes.
I was amazed at how many people were posting against any adaptation. It would cost MONEY (oh, the “g-d” of money!).I could not believe the small-mindedness of these posters. It was very disheartening to read. If that is the way most people in America feel, I’m glad I live here. People are misinformed here. Budgets are tight. There is discrimination against the mentally impaired. Here in our town physical access for the disabled is very poor.

But at least we are working on it. No one doubts about the need for the situation to improve.

No comments: