Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Power of Music

Remember the Movie "The Sound of Music?" Frankly, I think that a better name would be The Power of Music". Music is a very powerful medium.
A few years ago I was going through a difficult period, and I took the time to make a power-point presentation set to a stirring tune about Hanukkah. Today I heard the song again. I actually had tears in my eyes as the tune raised up the same emotions I had been feeling previously. All dictators control the radio in their country. I am sure that news control is only part of it. Music is a strong tool for them to use.
This is why, even though I enjoy nearly all genres of music, I draw the line when my son plays "rap". (First of all, I have told him that as far as I am concerned it is not music at all….) But the whole tempo and background is a complete antithesis to me, no matter what the words say. Then this week he started listening to opera of all things! Go try and figure out a teenager!

No comments: