Monday, April 2, 2012

A Reminder From Heaven (or at Least the Heavens)

      Yesterday was a blustery type of day. It was supposed to be my last heavy-cleaning day before Passover (which starts Friday evening). I was planning to clean my living room as well as my fridge. That is a lot to do in one day, and I hoped to get an early start. Ricki left at 8 am for school, and I decided to dash next door to her doctor, to get a needed renewal of one of Ricki’s prescription medicines. Then I could buy the medicine early Monday, when I would go for my weekly weighing at the pharmacy. I also wanted to pop over to the bank and pull a bit of money from the ATM machine. The doctor’s office was empty of patients (as it usually is on Sunday mornings), and so within minutes I had the prescription.
     Next stop was the bank. The ATM machine was out of money (as it usually is, and not just on Sunday mornings…), so rather than walk all over town looking for a working computer, I opted for a live teller. I entered the bank and was relieved to see only two people ahead of me. But their business took quite a while. Finally after about twenty minutes, it was my turn, and as I opened the identity card I was holding (having taken it from my purse), I realized that it was Ricki’s. So I started fishing for mine. When I did not find it momentarily, I stood aside and let the next in line take my place. And I then went deep sea diving into the trenches of my purse, until I finally had to admit that my identity card was NOT there. Now not having an identity card is a big no-no in Israel, First of all, you can’t pull cash funds from the bank without one. And I couldn’t get Ricki’s CONCERTA without one (as it is a potentially abusable drug). So I went home and started calling stores where I might have left it during one of my recent purchases….to no avail.
        Finally I gave up, and decided to go order a replacement one, consoling myself that I needed a new one anyway since my ID picture contained therein is 80 kilos over my current weight. So I walked to the necessary office, getting needed photographs on the way, and waited nearly an hour in line. Finally at 11:30 I left with a new identity card in hand, but at least 3 hours behind in my schedule for the day. I was a bit peeved and anxious, knowing full well that it would be neigh-well impossible to finish the day’s work. Passing a store, I went in and bought some halvah. Walking home I was having a mental battle: treat myself (poor, poor me…) to halvah, or stick to my diet. And the halvah side won. I was about to take some, when suddenly I was reminded from heaven (or the heavens) that my actions were not correct: a bird flying above unloaded a tremendous amount of bird shit all over me. I instantly lost all appetite, and had to hurry home to change…. Now I am saving the halvah as a SMALL treat for a day that I REALLY stick 100% to my eating plan……

5 comments:

perlsand said...

This is hysterical.I'm cracking up reading this and I needed that as I'm taking a break from all the Pesach cleaning right now. I love your blog and admire you immensely for your weight loss. I lost 26 kg.in the past year and a half and I'm about half-way to my goal so I really GET IT.
Have a wonderful Pesach and may those birds keep shitting on us just when we need it!

Anonymous said...

not a criticism at all, but soooooo suprised to see you use the "s" word

rickismom said...

Annonomous, , note that I was talking about the REAL stuff! I have to call it SOMETHING!

LindaSue said...

absolutely hysterical - I truly didn't expect the bird to be the heavenly instrument of diet control - but whatever it takes right? I had a bird poop on my head at a picnic/birthday party for my 10th birthday - my father roared with laughter and said "well chickie - for some people birds will sing!" thanks for the smile!

sell my house said...

Really I so pleased to read this site description. This site say about heaven and a memorable nice day.
sell my house