Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rocky Mountain High


My son obtained for me a MP3 copy of the song "Rocky Mountain High" (John Denver). People who haven't ever been to the Rocky Mountains are likely to think that this song is talking about drugs. But it isn't. Some people, me included, get an emotional "high" from the mountains. The two dimensional pictures you see in the video can not give you the feeling that being there does. The vast spaces, the rustle of the wind in the aspen trees, the roaring of water tumbling over stones in its downward rush towards the sea....is inspiring (in those whose heart is open to it). I came to believe in G-d as a result of my encounters with the awesomeness of G-d's world.
So now when out walking the pavements of the city, I listen (among other things) to “Rocky Mountain High”, and my heart aches for the quiet and fresh air of the mountains, and for the family that lives there.
[Originally I was going to post this tomarrow, but I want to share it today. So forgive me if I don't post tomarrow!]

2 comments:

Staying Afloat said...

Thank you! We just went to the Rockies this year, and it was... so beyond descriptions. That's so amazing that it prompted you journey through religion.

Pink (AKA Lucia) said...

I was born in Colorado and moved to Wisconsin when I was 4. I miss Colorado a whole lot. It is a beautiful state and the mountains are beautiful. The last time I've been to Colorado was four years ago when I had to catch a connection from Minnesota to Colorado to Texas to find an apartment here in Texas. I got to see a bit of the mountains but the airport was in Denver so I didn't get to see much which made me sad. I miss the mountains.