Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Runaway…

On Friday, Ricki had misbehaved in her last class. Knowing that the aide would write about it on her communication sheet, Ricki decided to leave the incriminating evidence behind. Rather than ride in her city-paid taxi home, she took to the pavement. She simply ran away. The aide called me, a bit frantic. I assured her that Ricki knew the way home quite well and that if she didn’t arrive home within a half hour I would send two of my sons out on bikes to round her up. She arrived home in 20 minutes. On her entry, I yelled at her “Why did you run away from the aid?!?” So a few minutes later, she ducked out the door, schlepping (dragging) her school bag behind her. About 40 minutes later, she reappeared.
“Hi! I’m home!”
She had gone BACK to the school, to see if she could still come back in the taxi. She couldn’t, and she had to trek home again by foot. At least she got some exercise! She certainly went to a lot of trouble to try and “correct” her misbehavior record. What she didn’t take into consideration was that the aid would tell me all of her misdeeds by way of a phone call……

1 comment:

RivkA with a capital A said...

It's pretty impressive that she walked all the way back to school to correct her mistake.

I wonder at what age kids realize that the problem exists, even if they don't talk about it....