Friday, March 25, 2011

Terror Attacks / Missiles

This week my married DD was at the hospital for an appointment, and called me anxiously that she heard about the blast, and to check about her brothers in Jerusalem. She is always a bit hysterical whenever there is a bombing. Once several years ago there was a big attack on Purim, and she happened to be in the hospital that day, "watching" Ricki for a few hours so my husband could pop home. What a mistake! Ricki had fallen asleep and she went to take a walk. By mistake she saw the first ambulances arriving unloading the wounded, and thus understands only too well just how horrible these attacks are. I didn't call (no news is good news....), especially as my sons rarely use the buses (one usually uses a bike, the other one walks...). [One of them WAS once just by a bomb attack, but it was the one attack where no one was hurt. Since it was near his study hall, he called me to tell me he was safe, moments before his sister called me telling me to check about him.]
In Israel just about everyone has a friend or a relative of a friend who was killed or seriously injured in an attack. We are a small country, and we feel the losses accordingly.
[BTW, if anyone reading here wants to compare between the bombing and the Palestinian civilians who were killed just before, there is a big difference. The Palestinians where killed by accident. No one in Israel celebrated their deaths.]
Now with the rain of missiles falling on Israel, I fear that war is close. With two sons in the army, “color me” one unhappy mother….

PS- If there is a war, THIS is why....

7 comments:

Pink (AKA Lucia) said...

I've always wanted to visit the Mid-East, but am afraid to live there due to the violence in the Mid-East. I'd love to visit Israel someday when I can afford it. Bombs scare me. I am not religious but want to visit it for the sake of enjoying what is there in Israel, on holiday. I've always wanted to travel the whole world someday, to see all the wonderful things there are on this Earth. I've lived in many states in the US (6 states so far!). I've been living in south Texas since 2006. I have a tendency to move around a lot to see what other places have to offer. I almost got close to moving to Hawaii, but it never happened. :( Ah well.

I have a question. Why do you say "G-d" and not "God? I've always wondered why Jewish people say that. Obviously I am not Jewish at all. Just curious.

Prasad said...

These blasts will raise tensions and also no peace discussions will be possible

Batya said...

I heard about it when my eldest called to ask where I was.

rickismom said...

Lucia, it is simply a custom amoung Orthodox Jews not to write the word "G-d" in its entierty. Further explanation is just too complicated for me to get into right now.

Jan Parlin Pacelli said...

I was always taught that to spell it out when not in a prayer was taking the name of G-d in vain.

Pink (AKA Lucia) said...

Thanks, Rickismom for the explanation about "G-d".

Pink (AKA Lucia) said...

And thanks, Jan Parlin Pacelli! Now I understand.