Saturday, November 6, 2010

Postscript to Yesterday’s Post

On Friday morning, after writing my post, I went to town to run a few errands. As I was doing so, I happened to pass a store (“Elegant Paris” in Bnai Brak) where I had skeptically entered two months ago, to see if maybe they had anything in my size. Why skeptically? Because it was a “regular” store, not a self proclaimed “big sizes” one, and I fully expected the saleslady to either hiss or mournfully inform me (as I have experienced in the past) that they had nothing in my size. But she didn’t (making me feel rather “normal”), and on that occasion I had found a good under blouse just perfect to complement a-way-too-revealing-mesh top bought in the “big sizes” store.
So yesterday, I wandered in, on whim, to see what they had. And they had plenty of things just (barely) my size. And in addition, they charge a price much cheaper than the “big sizes” store.*
However, what impressed me most was when I was considering whether to purchase an item that I was unsure of, the saleslady said “If you’re not sure, don’t buy it. I don’t want you to walk out with something you won’t be happy with…” In the end I bought the same design in a different color, and walked out content indeed. I know where I will go FIRST next time I am aiming to purchase clothing….

* Last time I was in the big sizes store, I heard a lady asking the saleslady why they were SO expensive. She replied that all the extra material costs money… Um…. The extra ½ meter (at most) of cloth costs them 20-30 shekels, and the price gets marked up by at least 70-100 shekels…..The obvious truth is that if their customers can not go elsewhere, it is easy to mark your prices up……

1 comment:

Batya said...

It's so wonderful to hear that. After I lost weight, suddenly I was too small for one of my favourite stores. It has taken a while to redo my wardrobe to dress "thin." B"H! Enjoy in good health.