Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Three-Post Day: Perceptions

Some days I sit down at the computer, and ask myself: Do I have anything worthwhile to write about?
And then there are those days- they can be “good” or “bad”, but either way are a high-yield “3 post day”. Yesterday was one of those. I will give you one story and save the rest for a hum-drum day.

Ricki’s aid called in sick yesterday, so Ricki stayed home. In the late morning I went to run a few errands, so of course Ricki accompanied me. One of the things I had to do was pick up her Concerta medication at the pharmacy, and while there, weigh myself, and since she was with me, Ricki as well. As we were getting the medicine, Ricki suddenly started reading the signs in the pharmacy. I saw a fleeting pause of surprise on the pharmacist’s face as he realized the level of Rick’s reading ability. He smiled in pleasure and I silently reaped naches.
A few moments later, just as we approached the scales, a bunch of high school girls entered, also planning to use the balance. So we weighed ourselves quickly (I lost only a bit- the wages of sin), and tried to exit.
Leaving the store was hard, the narrow space by the scales being filled by five smiling teens. So Ricki slightly pushed one girl in her attempt to get by. The young lady reacted to my telling Ricki “Take it easy, don’t push.” by stroking her face and saying, “Oh, but she’s such a sweetie”.
Me: “Without the ‘sweetie’, If you don’t mind…”
Her: (flustered a bit): “No, I love these kids. I am studying special ed.”
Me : “These kids need…..”
Her: “Love and ….”
Me: “They need rights and respect. Did it never cross your mind that if you, a stranger, can stroke her face, so than a man could too?”
She looked at me in shock. Total eye-opening shock.
Me: “Think about that again. If she is stroked by strangers, than a man could also do that. Think about it.”
I smiled, and she smiled back. But I could see in her eyes that she had heard.

6 comments:

RivkA with a capital A said...

"I smiled, and she smiled back. But I could see in her eyes that she had heard. "

It is impressive that you were able to communicate such an important message effectively and with a smile.

Jennifer said...

I worry about these types of things so much for when Aidan is older. As always, thanks for your wisdom. The most important thing I have learned from you is to speak out and not be afraid to offend people.

Terri said...

Such an important lesson for the folks that are around our kids. I hope this young student was changed forever.

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Great teaching moment. I hope she truly understood if she is going to be a teacher in the future.

Cate said...

Oh, good for you! Very well said.

s(b.) said...

Thank you for sharing. (My first time here, via HH. Glad I stopped by.)