Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Accosted

   This incident happened about 2 weeks ago, but I just hadn't had time to write about it. I was walking along the street in Ramat Gan (a suburb of Tel Aviv), when suddenly I heard someone muttering next to me, which at first I ignored. Suddenly I realized that a man was talking to me. He was yelling "AREN'T YOU AFRAID? PEOPLE NEED 5 JOBS TO STAY FISCAL, AREN'T YOU SCARED?"
   Apparently this barrage was brought on by the recent political climate. What amazed me was the assumptions he was making:
1) That I do not work
2) That my husband does not work
3) That my husband/sons do not (did not) serve in the army.

  What little tiny boxes of preconceived notions we pollute our minds with......

6 comments:

Batya said...

Some people can only read stereotypes.

Anonymous said...

so glad I found your blog still up. I have been trying to reach you but your email address I have isn't working
so proud of you for your weight loss
please be in touch
jafm from sfm

Toni said...

I am so very glad that I came across
your blog and ESPECIALLY for the fact
of your tremendous strength in your
weight loss. Last year I began an
alternative diet and lost 40 kilo,
returning me to the size when I made Aliyah in 1973. The happiest day of my life was giving away 3 huge garbage bags full of my "heavy" clothes.

The diet is constant and does not
change from day to day which is
vegetarian, and I have adjusted
to it completely.

In no time at all my husband, who
didn't really have to lose any
weight, started eating the same
food and has lost a little. He
really wasn't overweight but he
feels much better with the diet
that we share together.

I admire your determination. In
all, that's all it really takes.
Kol Tuv, Toni

Rickismom said...

jafm within a month I will try and see if I can obtain your email.

Toni, wishing you continued success

Rickismom said...

Within a few days I will(bli neder) call Chaya T.(of Jerusalem, of SFM's) and give her my new email.

Rickismom said...

Toni, glad you found an eating plan that works for you!