Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Second Step

   The first step in losing weight is similar to the first step of Alcoholics Anonymous: The realization that I reached this point due to my choices, and the knowledge that I need to make some changes in my life.
   But the second step is OH so much harder!  And a lot of people never do this step, and (in my humble opinion) this is the main reason that they are not able to complete the job.
   Whoever overeats has a reason for doing so. We all want to be thin, beautiful, and healthy, so there must be a compelling reason that causes us to irrationally overeat. We are GAINING SOME BENEFIT FROM THE EXCESS FOOD. Possibilities:
-sugar gives me an energy boost when I didn't sleep enough last night…
-cake comforts my nerves when I am tense
-eating gives me something to do when bored

    These are just a few examples. The "second step" is to discover WHAT IS TRIGGERING your overeating, and find NON-FOOD ALTERNATIVES.

   Even though I am a good three years on this journey, and about 75 kilos (165 lbs) lighter, I still struggle at times with overeating. Because those "benefits" of overeating are still there, I still have to be on my toes to make sensible choices.  It is OH SO EASY to slip back to bad and unhealthy ways of dealing with tiredness and stress.
   However, on the positive side, it does become easier to make those right choices. I've learned, for example, that a good brisk walk will cure my tension even better than a cookie… and without the guilt, as well!
    And of course, making those right choices, and living healthy is a heck of a lot of fun……

3 comments:

Batya said...

And as parents and grandparents we must use non-food items gifts to celebrate and bribe our children/grandchildren, so they won't resort to food when they need something special.

Cindy said...

Good points. And congratulations on striving for the second step!

galiah said...

You gave me a lot of "food for thought!" thank you!