Well, Ricki's IV didn't come out yesterday, which is good because they wanted to make further blood tests today. When I said a relieved "Well, at least she won't need to get stuck again…"' they hastened to inform me that the 5-day old IV would not allow a blood draw, and that they would need to stick her again.
Unfortunately, I was not "pushy" enough to insist that they try, and assuming that they knew best, I allowed them to look for a vein elsewhere. When they were unsuccessful, one nurse effectively drained stagnant blood off the IV connection, and managed to also get the 5cc's we needed for the tests. I DID insist that they take her TSH level as well, suspecting highly that her above-normal TSH levels from a test done a month ago were off due to her illness.
It is hard for me to be assertive; it is not my general nature. If I had been more assertive maybe I would have asked for X-rays earlier from Ricki's doctor, and perhaps this whole thing would have been averted (although I doubt it…).
However, one area where I am trying to make my opinion known is my protests against the extension of Ricki's hospitalization. When her O2 saturation levels last night were significantly better, I was upset when the need for further blood tests and another night of checking her oxygen saturation level resulted in postponing her discharge for "at least" another day. "Tell me, I quipped, do I need to go to the Misrad HaP'nim (interior ministry) to change my address to 'Shneider Hospital'"?
If for some reason they insist that she not be discharged tomorrow, I am going to try very hard to get a 30 hour "vacation" break for her for over Shabbat, as she really has little enough to do here on shabbas, and I can't imagine her doing anything other than moping in bed if we need to stay.